- License Offices - Main
- Shelby County License Offices
- Vehicle Registration Renewal ATM
Vehicle Registration Renewal ATM
The Shelby County Vehicle Registration ATM is a self-service process that offers a fast and easy way to renew most vehicle registrations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week based on your schedule without having to come inside or wait in line. The Registration ATM is only available at the 280 Office at this time (19220 Hwy 280, Birmingham, Al. 35242). The What3Words location is ///canine.satisfies.brokered.
- What is a Shelby County Registration ATM?
The vehicle registration ATM provides a self-service process for Shelby County residents to drive/walk-up to renew most vehicle registrations 24/7 based on your schedule without having to come inside or wait in line. The Registration ATM is only available at the 280 Office at this time (19220 Hwy 280, Birmingham, Al. 35242).
- Who can use the ATM?
It is your responsibility to renew your tag before the expiration date. Any changes to a renewal must come into the tag office. There is no grace period; your tag must be renewed by the end of your renewal month to avoid penalties. You can renew registrations with late penalties at the ATM. Any resident of Shelby County can use the ATM provided they have eligible vehicle registrations that are available for renewal. Motor Vehicle Registrations Renewal Months are by first letter of last name:
- A and D - January
- B - February
- C and E - March
- F, G and N - April
- H and O - May
- M and I - June
- P and L - July
- K and R - August
- Q, S and T - September
- U, V, W, X, Y and Z - October
- October/November - Commercial and Fleet Vehicles
- Will I pay a fee to use the ATM?
No, there is no additional fee for using the registration renewal ATM.
- What information do I need to use the ATM?
You must be a resident of Shelby County. You will need your tag renewal notice with the barcode that was mailed to you OR your drivers license and tag number to start the transaction. Most tags can be renewed at the ATM. The exception are tags that require additional documentation/certification, or tags that the state has changed the design this year (examples: God Bless/UA/AU tags). ATM transactions do NOT have a $2.00 mail processing fee and you can print your decals at the ATM on your schedule. Only credit and debit card payments are accepted at the ATM.
- What can be renewed at the ATM?
- Most Vehicle Registration renewals (some exceptions apply - MLI, DL suspensions, insurance verification problems)
- Vehicle Registrations that do not require a new license plate
- Vehicles that do not require updated insurance information
- What cannot be renewed at the ATM?
- Boats (decals do not fit in ATM printer)
- Registrations with a tag design change(background or lettering) – Such as God Bless/UA/AU tags
- Registrations that require yearly eligibility documents – such as National Guard, Active Reserve, Firefighter, Rescue Squad, Fraternal Order of Police, Realtors, etc.
- Registrations that have an active State inquiry (MLI) Mandatory Liability Insurance
- Who do I contact if I am unable to complete my registration renewal during regular business hours?
Please reach out to us using the methods below (M-F 8-4:30pm):1) Get live ATM help via:
2) eMail us at Tags@shelbyal.com
3) Call us at 205.670.6824
- Will I get my registration and decal immediately?
Yes, your registration and decal will be printed at the ATM as soon as your renewal is completed.
- What are the payment options?