If Moving from another County WITHIN Alabama
In ALL transactions, if there are two owners and their names are joined by "and,” both owners must be present to sign the title application or one has to send an original notarized power of attorney. If there are two owners with no connecting word, it is considered "and." If names are joined by "or," only one owner is needed to register the vehicle. Each owner reflected on the vehicle title must present a valid government issued driver's license or non driver's ID.
You will need to provide:
- The current registration for your vehicle
- A valid (non-expired) Driver’s License or State issued ID for each owner. The names on the driver’s license/ID must match the names on the paperwork and must be the owner’s current legal name. Note: Company owned vehicles require an FEIN.
- Proof of residency in Shelby County*
- Proof of Insurance (insurance provider must be licensed to do business in Alabama)
- If you have a military, handicap, or specialty tag you will need to provide the necessary documentation.
- Home Property Tax in the applicant’s name showing homestead exemption
- A current apartment lease in the applicant’s name or listed as an occupant
- A deposit on utilities in the applicant’s name
- A current (within last 30 days) utility bill for a Shelby County residence in the applicant’s name (electric, gas, water, sewer, garbage, cable, and land line telephone)
- Military orders to Shelby County (date must be current)
| Download a printable checklist here|| |
This information provided by the Shelby County License Department is the most current and thorough information available to help expedite your transaction. The license department regards every transaction as unique however we have only addressed the most common types of transactions and provided you the basic information to assist you with the documents needed before your visit to our license offices. Since every situation cannot be foreseen we encourage you to include any additional documentation you may deem pertinent to your transaction. For your convenience we also encourage you to use the printable checklists that are available within the text.