Columbiana is centrally located in the County approximately 25 miles southeast of Birmingham. Columbiana serves as the county seat with many county government offices located in Columbiana. As such, many people come to Columbiana to conduct business.
Incorporated in 1837, with corporate limits one-quarter mile in each direction from the public square, Columbiana was first called Columbia. An act of the Legislature changed the name to Columbiana on January 13, 1832. Prior to the Civil War, an iron foundry was located in Columbiana, and during the war CB Churchill operated a foundry for the Confederate government. It was burned in 1865.