What if I am building in a city?

Shelby County provides Building Permits and Inspections for the following cities: Chelsea, Columbiana, Indian Springs Village, Montevallo, Vincent, Wilsonville and Wilton.  A Zoning Authorization Form from the following cities must be submitted with your application: Chelsea, Columbiana, Indian Springs Village and Wilton.

Shelby County administers the zoning and subdivision regulations for the cities of Montevallo, Vincent and Wilsonville.  Subdivision applications, zoning review, site plan applications, rezoning applications, conditional use applications and variance applications for these three cities are administered though the Department of Development Services.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for an ABC License?
2. What is a setback verification survey?
3. Can I place a manufactured/mobile home on my property?
4. Can I add a second manufactured/mobile home on my property?
5. Can I place a tiny home on my lot?
6. What is a legal lot?
7. What is my property zoned?
8. What is the difference between a plot plan and a setback verification survey?
9. Will I need a setback verification survey with my building permit?
10. Can I split (subdivide) my property?
11. What if I am building in a city?
12. How do I schedule a perc test for my lot?
13. How do I pay for my permit?
14. How do I submit for a building permit?
15. Do I have to be onsite for my inspection?
16. Do I need plans for my building permit application?
17. Why does it take so long to review my application for improvements?
18. Is a sheathing inspection required?
19. Do I need a separate permit for my portion of the customer’s job?
20. Can my inspector look at my job in the morning and return in the afternoon once I have made the required changes?