Click to Home

Go To Search
What to Bring
What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?
  • Building Permit Application
  • Application fee of $100 (make checks payable to Shelby County Commission)
  • Sewer / Septic Tank Authorization Form from the Shelby County Health Department or paid impact fee letter if on sewer (not applicable if self-contained RV)
  • Zoning approval - If you are in the city limits of the following, you must obtain zoning approval from their office prior to applying for permit with us.
  • Directions and physical address for property - Contact the 911 Business Office at (205) 439-6911.
  • Plot plan indicating location of structure on property, setbacks to obtain zoning approval, and erosion control layout showing silt fencing, hay bales, etc.
    • If in FEMA flood plain, a survey will be required along with a development permit and a flood elevation certificate. Certified site plan / survey may be required per zoning regulations.
  • Manufactured Home or RV
    • Year, make, serial number, size, color, purchase information, Shelby County master certified electrician, state electrical contractor, or the resident may take a homeowners exam administered by our office between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday (open book / no fee). Manufactured Home Packet
  • Residential Plans
    • One set required, once reviewed, will be returned to contractor or responsible party to be kept on jobsite at all times. Plans must contain foundation plan, floor plans, roof plan, elevation views of the front and rear and each side.  Construction of exterior walls of dwellings and accessory buildings less than 5 feet from property line must be designed using Table R302.1.       
    • They shall be drawn neat, straight-lined, and to scale. In areas governed by Architectural Review Committees, please contact your ARC for their requirements.
  • Commercial Plans
    • One set of plans is required. The plans must include structural, architectural, plumbing, gas, mechanical, and electrical designs.
    • The architectural plans must include a code summary / life safety plan and a scope of work. The architectural plans must be stamped by an architect licensed in the State of Alabama if the project is 2,500 square feet or more, if the project is an initial build-out in a building of 2,500 square feet or more, or if the project is an assembly or educational occupancy.
    • The COMcheck version 3.7.1 compliance certificate submittal is required to verify that the building envelope and the building systems comply with the International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 Edition.
    • The electrical plans must be stamped by an electrical engineer licensed in the State of Alabama and must include:
      • An electrical load calculation
      • Short circuit study
      • Utilization Equipment and Panelboard schedules
      • Single lines for service, all feeders, separately derived systems, and major equipment branch circuits.
      • Grounding Electrode System and intersystem bonding requirements
      • Proposed use of the facility
      • Special requirements to comply with Chapters 5, 6, and 7 of NEC
      • Proposed communication systems
      • Verification of Compliance with the 2009 IECC Energy Requirements
    • At permit issuance, after any plans revisions required by plans review, an electronic copy of the final plans must be submitted on a CD in a .pdf format; or can be sent in .pdf format via email to Philip Crunk, Inspection Services Supervisor.
      • Stamped set of plans to be kept on jobsite by contractor or responsible party
      • One set of plans to be delivered with affidavit to local fire district
      • Project name required
      • Sign permit may be required
      • Contact Health Department at (205) 620-1650 for any and all work performed on restaurants, limited food services, mobile food services, schools, pools, day cares, or hotels / motels (one set of plans may be required)
  • Contractor / Sub-contractor license and certification - See License Requirements

Shelby County, Alabama
200 West College St.
Columbiana, AL 35051
Ph: (205) 670-6550