Name Change

The Probate Court has the authority to change the name of any person residing in Shelby County upon filing of a Petition from the person whose name is to be changed. The name change form does not require an attorney to file; however, you may choose to consult an attorney as the court is not allowed to assist you in completing the form.

  1. This information page, which is based on Alabama law, is to inform and not to advise. No person should ever apply or interpret any law without the aid of a lawyer who analyzes the facts, because the facts may change the application of the law.