COMPACT 2020 Releases Quarterly Newsletter
“Law enforcement alone cannot be the answer. Any solution to this problem will require complete community engagement.”
-Jill Lee, Shelby County District Attorney
COMPACT 2020 has Three Organizational Divisions:
Education, Prevention, & Intervention
· This division works to identify potential problems in the early stages and to help prevent them from escalating to addiction, incarceration, or other negative consequences.
Community Liaison Team
· The Community Liaison Team is involved in all aspects of the community: schools, businesses, government offices, medical facilities and drug stores in order to better understand the nature of the drug epidemic within each community.
Drug Enforcement Task Force
· The mission of the Shelby County Drug Enforcement Task Force is to create an environment free of illegal drugs within Shelby County and its communities, schools and places of work.
The United States surgeon general took a stand against the addiction epidemic plaguing our nation. A new report found one in seven Americans will face addiction to drugs or alcohol in their lifetime, but only a fraction of those people actually get the help they need. (2016 Surgeons General Report)
· The United States consumes 80% of the world’s prescription drugs. (www.knowdope.org)
· Alabama leads the nation for the most pain-killer prescriptions per person. (www.nsc.org )
· Shelby County ranked 5th in the state for drug overdose deaths in 2015 (Alabama Center for Health Statistics ).
Compact 2020 Shelby County
“The vision is that we will all work together to eradicate drug use in this county.”
-Jill Lee, District Attorney of the 18th Judicial Circuit
Shelby County is fortunate to have strong leadership. The public officials in our communities have fully supported COMPACT 2020.
Our partners and supporting organizations include: Shelby County District Attorney’s Office; Shelby County Sheriff’s Office; Shelby County Commission and Shelby County Drug Enforcement Task Force.; the cities of Alabaster, Chelsea, Hoover, Pelham and Montevallo;
The most important part of COMPACT 2020 is parental involvement.
Knowledge is Power
Educating parents with current information is important to changing the drug trends in Shelby County. Information equips parents to guide and direct their children towards making healthy life decisions. COMPACT 2020 has many resources to share with parents.
COMPACT 2020 will partner with parents to offer resources and information.
· Smart Phone & Social Media Tips
· Drug Information
· Signs & Symptoms of Drug Use
· Treatment Opportunities
· Direct access to law enforcement experience and tools (K9 and search techniques)
1115 County Services Drive
Pelham, AL 35124