State Drivers License Examiners Office

Online Renewal of Drivers License Now Available
  • The following licenses can be renewed or duplicated using this system:
    • Driver's License
    • ID Card
  • Licenses may only be renewed by this online application once every 8 years.
  • Driver's licenses are eligible to renew 180 days prior to expiration date.
  • A valid credit card is required to use this application.
  • A non-refundable fee will be collected at the end of your transaction. If for any reason the transaction is not completed, your card will not be charged.
  • Only renewals and duplicates can be performed online.
  • You MUST have a printer available to print your 30 day temporary license.
  • Your new permanent license or ID card will be mailed in 7-10 days. A temporary receipt will be provided that is valid for 30 days.
  • To add or remove license classes, restrictions and endorsements, please see a State examiner.
  • To Add Military Designation:
    • You must bring your DD214 from the U S Department of Defense with the designation “ honorable discharged” or “general under honorable conditions”.

 First Time Issuance - Drivers Testing Additions or Corrections

Every Alabama resident who operates any motorized vehicle must have a valid driver’s license. All applicants whose Alabama license has been expired for more than three years or out of state license has been expired for at least one year must pass the required driver’s examination.

All documents must be original. No photocopies will be accepted.

Renewing or Replacing Your ID
Your Alabama driver’s license must be renewed every four years. You may renew your license within 180 days of the expiration date of your current license. Standard renewals, replacement license, or name and address changes to existing license may be processed at any location within the state where renewals are done.

Note: If you wish to make a change to your driver’s license it will require an $31.25 duplication fee unless processed at the time of renewal.

If you do not need to make any changes to your license you may be eligible to renew online.
Documentation Needed 

All documents must be originals (no copies). If your license or state-issued ID becomes lost, destroyed, illegible, or there is a name or address change, you can apply for a duplicate at any Shelby County license office. You will be required to furnish acceptable identification (no photo copies) in the form of two or more of the following documents for license or IDs that are lost, destroyed, or illegible:

  • Certificate of Birth issued by the State Department (FORM FS-545)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (FORM N-570)
  • Certificate of United States Citizenship (FORM N-560)
  • Active, Retired, Reserve or Dependent Military ID
  • Current United States passport
  • Original certified birth certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • US Citizen Born Abroad (FORM DS-1350)

Reclaim Alabama License or Out of State Transfers
 Documentation Needed

  • Original certified birth certificate or valid United States passport (required)
  • Former state license
  • Social Security card - Must reflect current name
  • $36.25 license fee, plus a $5 transfer fee
  • Proof of school enrollment (available at school registrar’s office), a graduation certificate, or a diploma

For Learners License

  • Original Certified Birth Certificate (Required for 15-year-olds) or valid United States passport (for those age 16 and older)
  • Social Security card - Must reflect current name
  • Applicants 15-18 years of age: Acceptable proof of enrollment form or proof of graduation
    • Form DL/193 (available at school), graduation certificate, or diploma
    • No photocopies accepted
  • $36.25 license Fee, plus $5 test fee

For Name Change

  • Current license
  • Social Security card - Must be updated to reflect your name change
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce papers - Must state that you can claim your maiden name
  • Adoption papers
  • Court order for name change

For Address Change

You have 30 days in which to notify the Drivers License division in writing of your new address.
You must give your full name, driver’s license number, and your new address. Send information to:

  • Driver’s License Division
    P.O. Box 1471
    Montgomery, Alabama 36102-1471

If your current driver’s license is from another state you must apply at a state driver’s license examiners office.