What to Bring

What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?

  • Building Permit Application (Application for Improvements)
  • Application fee of $100 (make checks payable to Shelby County Commission)
  • Sewer / Septic Tank Authorization Form from the Shelby County Health Department or paid impact fee letter if on sewer (not applicable if self-contained RV)
    • Shelby County Health Department: (205) 685-4178
    • SouthWest Water Company: (205) 987-8352, ALBuilderServices@swwc.com
    • Hoover Sewer: (205) 444-7523
    • Birmingham Sewer: (205) 254-0500
    • Enviro-Systems: (205) 437-3779
  • Zoning approval - Planning Services will provide zoning approval for projects located in unincorporated Shelby County, Montevallo, Vincent and Wilsonville. If you are in the city limits of the following, you must obtain zoning approval from their office prior to applying for permit with us.
  • Directions and physical address for property - Contact the 911 Business Office at (205) 439-6911.
  • Plot plan indicating location of structure on property, setbacks to obtain zoning approval, and erosion control layout showing silt fencing, hay bales, etc.
  • If the project is located in a FEMA flood plain, a Flood Plain Development Permit along with a survey will be required for review and approval. Please contact our office at (205) 620-6650 to determine if your project will require a Flood Plain Development Permit.

*NOTICE: Setback verification surveys, prepared by an Alabama Registered Land Surveyor, are required in zoned areas to verify the new construction, addition/covered structure, alteration, pool and/or accessory structure meets the required setback. Please contact our office at (205) 620-6650 to determine if your project will require a setback verification survey.

  • Manufactured Home or RV
    • Year, make, serial number, size, color, purchase information, Shelby County master certified electrician, state electrical contractor, or the resident may take a homeowners exam administered by our office between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday (open book / no fee). Manufactured Home Packet
  • Plans - See Plan Requirements
  • Contractor / Sub-contractor license and certification - See License Requirements