Marriage License

How to Obtain a Marriage License

A marriage license may be obtained from any county in the State of Alabama (regardless of where you live or where you are getting married), and may be used to be married in any county within Alabama. The certified marriage certificate received from the court will be the required documentation to make the appropriate changes to Social Security, driver’s license, insurance and other records. To purchase a marriage license in Shelby County, please come to:

  • Judge of Probate Office
    Shelby County Courthouse
    112 N. Main St.
    Columbiana, AL 35051

Requirements / Regulations

  • Both parties must appear in person and fulfill the following requirements. 
  • Minor parties 16 to 17 years old must call the Probate Office at (205) 669-3720 for detailed information on what will be required to obtain a marriage license.
  • Parties that are 18 years and older must provide a valid government issued photo I.D., a driver’s license, non-drivers license, or passport.
  • The fee is $75. This office will accept cash or checks for payment. If paying with cash, we prefer the correct amount, if possible. The Probate Office is now also accepting credit cards as payment with an additional 3.5% convenience fee included.
  • Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. We respectfully request that the parties arrive no later than 4:00 pm to allow time for all parties to complete the appropriate paperwork.
  • Please use BLACK ink only.
  • If either party has been divorced and the divorce occurred more than 90 days from the date the marriage license is issued, the divorce decree will not be required. You will need to be able to provide the month and year of the most recent divorce.
  • If the divorce occurred less than 90 days from the date the marriage license is issued, please call the office for further details on what will be required.
  • You must be married within 30 days from the issuance date of the marriage license.
  • Please check the marriage license very carefully for errors. Once the license has been filed, you must have court action to make any corrections. There is a fee paid for by the bride and groom to petition the court to make changes on a marriage record.
  • An ordained or licensed minister or judge must perform the marriage ceremony. They will complete the relevant portion of the license and return it to the marriage license clerk in the self-addressed envelope provided by the court at the time of purchase.
  • Upon receipt of the completed Marriage License, the marriage license clerk will mail a certified certificate of marriage to the bride and groom.

Weddings at the Courthouse

The Probate Judge and Probate Chief Clerk are not available to perform weddings because of their daily case schedules. If you would like to get married in the gazebo adjacent to the Courthouse, please call the marriage license clerk at (205)669-3720 in advance for a list of local ministers who have indicated a willingness to perform wedding ceremonies. It is up to the parties to make arrangements with the minister for the wedding ceremony. The gazebo is offered as a no charge convenience on a first come, first serve basis.

Marriage License Application Form