Services & Responsibilities
Shelby County Environmental Services is responsible for the daily operations, construction, and maintenance of the Shelby County Regional Landfill located on State Highway 70 (401 Landfill Road) between Calera and Columbiana. The Shelby County Environmental Services Department manages the Shelby County Highway 70 Landfill, a Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) and Construction/Demolition (C/D) landfill.
- Solid Waste Management Plan (4/13/15)
What We Do
The Shelby County Environmental Services Department also provides the following services for Shelby County:
- Manages franchise for garbage collection in unincorporated Shelby County
- Accepts applications and issues landfill user permits (at no charge to the customer)
- Responds and investigates possible contamination sites for soil, water, and air
- Manages the Emergency Management Agency (Shelby County Division)
- Assists the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) in the enforcement of burn laws and regulations, assuring a safe and healthy environment for the citizens of Shelby County
- Provides a regional landfill to accept trash, garbage, and debris Monday through Saturday for commercial waste haulers and the general public
- Cars - $6
- In-County Residents - $22 per ton (includes $1 ADEM fee)
- Pickup Trucks - $10 (includes $1 ADEM fee)
- Residents From Outside the County - $30 per ton (includes $1 ADEM fee)
- Other Landfill Rates
- The county offers two free days per year, as set by the County Commission.
- We are closed on all Sundays, New Years Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- The landfill does NOT accept hazardous waste, automobile batteries, vehicle tires, or liquid wastes.
- We do not accept vehicles. Please consider donation to Wheels For Wishes.