Emergency Management Agency (EMA)
ShelbyALerts: Emergency Notification System
Get emergency alerts and other important community news by signing up for ShelbyALerts. This system enables us to quickly provide you with critical information in situations such as:
- severe weather
- road closures
- missing persons
- evacuations and more
- inform us if you have a personal storm shelter at home
You will receive time-sensitive notifications for the locations you specify such as your home and/or office. ShelbyALerts can contact you via:
- home, mobile or business phone
- text message
- Everbridge phone app
- TTY/TTD device (more information below)
- email and more
You pick where, you pick how.
ShelbyALerts contact information
Please save our contact information before you need it! NOTE: Saving our information does not register you for ShelbyALerts! Please SIGN UP above.
OR create a contact with the following:
- Work: 205-610-0950 (voice messages come from this number)
- Mobile: 89361 (text messages from this number)
CONSIDER MAKING OUR CONTACT A FAVORITE!
ShelbyALerts, Mobile Phones & DO NOT DISTURB
Emergency Notifications, like TORNADO WARNINGS, cannot reach you if your phone is on DO NOT DISTURB!
If you use DO NOT DISTURB, consider turning REPEATED CALLS ON or SAVING OUR CONTACT INFORMATION AS A FAVORITE to allow emergency notification voice calls to ring.
ShelbyALerts: EVERBRIDGE APP
You can also receive notifications and manage your profile using the Everbridge phone app. In the Google and Apple stores, look for:
- Everbridge For Everbridge & Nixle Alerts
When enrolling on Everbridge app, search for Organization/Subscription by typing:
- Click on: ShelbyALerts: Shelby County, Alabama
TTY/TDD, Access & Functional Needs and Warning Cancellations
When signing up for ShelbyALerts, you can choose to receive calls directly to TTY/TDD devices, text messages to one or two cell phones and a variety of other options.
During sign up, ShelbyALerts will ask about access or functional needs in your household along with community of interest, volunteer skills or if you have a personal storm shelter. This information is fully voluntary but could be critical for first responders during a disaster.
After a Tornado Warning, ShelbyALerts notifies you (by the same options) when the warning has expired or been cancelled early by the National Weather Service. Many members of our Access & Functional Needs Community asked for this service and we listened.
Nixle Notifications (text message)
Notifications from Shelby County EMA:
- Text "SHELBYALERTS" to 888777
Emergency & Community notifications based upon your zip code:
- Text your zip code to 888777, i.e., text 35051 to 888777
When shelters are open, EMERGENCY ALERT appears at top of screen.
For more information on Community Storm Shelters in Shelby County:
- Calera Storm Shelter Location
- Chelsea Hwy 51 Community Storm Shelter Location
- Columbiana Storm Shelter Location
- Harpersville Storm Shelter Location
- Vandiver Storm Shelter Location
- Vincent Storm Shelter Location
- Westover Storm Shelter Location
- West Shelby Storm Shelter Location
Shelby County programming notes for S.A.M.E. (Specific Area Message Encoding) Weather Radios:
- 001117 Shelby County Code
- Channel 7 (162.550) Birmingham NOAA Weather Radio Station (WRS)
- NOTE: If you live in Eastern or Southeastern Shelby County, use:
- Channel 4 (162.475) Anniston/Mt. Cheaha NOAA WRS
Plug in your radio and test it can receive the NOAA WRS. On many radios, this means pressing the "WEATHER" BUTTON. If you cannot hear someone talking, move the radio near a window or a north facing window until you hear talking when testing.
S.A.M.E. Codes for surrounding counties:
- Bibb: 001007
- Chilton: 001021
- Coosa: 001037
- Jefferson: 001073
Fire Ban Notice
Shelby County is under an Alabama Department of Environmental Management “no burn” order from May 1 through October 31. This regulation is to combat the formation of ground-level ozone, which has become a problem in our county.