Shelby County Animal Control Office: 205-669-8766 Office hours: 7:00am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday
If you are located within city limits, please contact your local municipality for animal control assistance. The County does not have jurisdiction within a city. Click here for city contact information.
- Shelby County residents can contact the Shelby Humane (205-669-3916) or shelbyhumane.org for the following support:
- Adoption or Fostering of dogs and/or cats
- Lost pet information and/or recovery
- Spay and neuter information
- Vaccine information and services
- Deceased animals located on the county’s road right of way will be picked up by the Environmental Services Department - 205-669-3737 or email@example.com.
- Land owners are responsible for managing the remains of deceased animals located on private property. Animal remains cannot be placed with the garbage containers and/or processed by your garbage service provider.
Dogs & Cats
Dogs and cats found wandering and not wearing a current rabies immunization tag will be captured by the Animal Control Officer and transported to the Animal Shelter located on McDow Road in Columbiana. The Animal Shelter is operated by the Humane Society of Shelby County Inc. through a contract with the county.
Shelby County Animal Control cannot capture and/or transport livestock. The Sheriff’s Office (205-670-6000) must first be contacted to assess and/or report a situation. Animal Control will be contacted by the Sheriff’s Office if their assistance is required.
The State of Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries can be contacted for assistance with domestic livestock: 334-240-7100 or agi.alabama.gov.
Other Animals (Raccoons, snakes, etc.)
Animal Control does not remove wildlife from private property.
Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators are permitted by the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries to remove nuisance wildlife at the landowner’s or tenant’s expense. See Outdoor Alabama for additional information and complete listing of permitted Animal Control Operators by County - www.outdooralabama.com/wildlife-management-programs/alabama-nuisance-animal-control.