ADEM Announces Burn Ban
The Alabama Department of Environmental Management is reminding Alabamians of the open burning ban going into effect for 12 counties. The ban, which is designed to protect air quality, is effective from May through October and includes:
Services We Provide
The Environmental Services Department provides the following services:
- Animal Control
- Emergency Management (EMA)
- Landfill Operation
- Litter Control
Additionally, we provide day-to-day contact with the public in landfill operations, storm water programs, and garbage service, and resolve complaints and problems related to any of the above.
Useful Resources / Information
- Septic tank inspections are performed by the Alabama Department of Public Health - Shelby County Health Department (205-685-4178)
- Littering Law
- Media Links
- Landfill Division
For garbage services in unincorporated areas of Shelby County please contact Republic Serives at (205) 605-0800. If you have any problems, please call Environmental Services at (205) 669-3737.
Republic Services has acquired Waste Pro's contract with Shelby County for garbage collection beginning November 16, 2019.
What to Expect:
- Continue to use your existing recycling and waste containers.
- Service days will remain the same; however, service times may vary so please place your container curbside the night before your normal collection day.
- Billing period and billing rates will remain the same. (See rates below)
- If payment has already been made to Waste Pro for the current invoice period, no action is required. However, please allow for slightly longer than normal processing time.
- Your next invoice will come from Republic Services. For your convenience, they offer various payment options:
- Pay online at RepublicServices.com
- Pay through your bank, and if enrolled in Auto-Pay with Waste Pro, you will need to re-enroll to direct payment to Republic Services.
- Pay by phone: 877-692-9729
- Pay by mail: Republic Services, PO Box 9001099, Louisville, KY 40290-1099
- For additional services, please visit RepublicServices.com.
Please call Customer Service at 205-605-0800 for further questions.
There are four recycling centers located throughout Shelby County for the recycling of paper, plastics, aluminum cans, and cardboard (no glass or garbage):