Environmental Services

ADEM Announces Burn Ban

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management is reminding Alabamians of the open burning ban going into effect for 12 counties. The ban, which is designed to protect air quality, is effective from May through October and includes:

  • Baldwin
  • DeKalb
  • Etowah
  • Jefferson
  • Lawrence
  • Madison
  • Mobile
  • Montgomery
  • Morgan
  • Russell
  • Shelby
  • Talladega

Services We Provide

The Environmental Services Department provides the following services:

  • Animal Control
  • Emergency Management (EMA)
  • Landfill Operation
  • Litter Control
  • Mosquito Control
  • MS4 Storm Water Program
  • Waste-Pro (New provider as of Oct 1, 2013) 

Additionally, we provide day-to-day contact with the public in landfill operations, storm water programs, and garbage service, and resolve complaints and problems related to any of the above.

Useful Resources / Information

Waste Pro

For garbage services in unincorporated areas of Shelby County please contact Waste Pro at (205) 432-0878. If you have any problems, please call Environmental Services at (205) 669-3737. 

There are five recycling centers located throughout Shelby County for the recycling of paper, plastics, aluminum cans, and cardboard (no glass or garbage). All materials are taken to Recycle America LLC, a subsidiary of Waste Management, for separation and future reuse.