Permits and Inspections
What Do I Need To Bring With Me When I Apply?
- Application fee of $100 (make checks payable to Shelby County Commission)
- Sewer / Septic Tank Authorization Form from the Shelby County Health Department or paid impact fee letter if on sewer (not applicable if self-contained RV)
- Shelby County Health Department: (205) 620-1650
- SouthWest Water Company: (205) 987-8352
- Hoover Sewer: (205) 444-7523
- Birmingham Sewer: (205) 254-0500
- Enviro-Systems: (205) 437-3779
- Zoning approval - If you are in the city limits of the following, you must obtain zoning approval from their office prior to applying for permit with us.
- Directions and physical address for property - Contact the 911 Business Office at (205) 439-6911.
- Plot plan indicating location of structure on property, setbacks to obtain zoning approval, and erosion control layout showing silt fencing, hay bales, etc.
- If in FEMA flood plain, a survey will be required along with a development permit and a flood elevation certificate. Certified site plan / survey may be required per zoning regulations.
- If Manufactured Home or RV
- Year, make, serial number, size, color, purchase information, Shelby County master certified electrician, state electrical contractor, or the resident may take a homeowners exam administered by our office between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday (open book / no fee). Manufactured Home Packet
- Contractor / Sub-contractor license and certification - See License Requirements